Whether or not you decide to partner with Writer’s Relief to help with your submissions (via our exceptional Full Service or our budget-friendly A La Carte Service), NOW is a very important time for serious writers. Here’s why you should get those submissions in the mail ASAP.
1. Many markets are open in the fall. Almost all literary journals that are affiliated with colleges and universities open their doors to new writers for the academic year. Editors are actively searching for exciting new writers; send your work now to take advantage of their enthusiasm.
2. Remember the excitement and importance of those first few days of school? The chatter, the competition, the feeling of beginning again? It’s the same in publishing. When summer hours end, there’s a communal sense of starting fresh.
3. Because fall is so busy for publishing—and there are so many submissions making the rounds—the sooner you send your work out, the better. Although response times vary from market to market and submission to submission, it’s been our experience that replies tend to arrive more quickly in the fall. When student readers and interns arrive at literary magazines in the fall, the response time tends to improve.
4. Since so many writers are submitting in the fall, you’ll be among the publishing movers and shakers. There’s a party going on, and you’re on the guest list. BUT if you want to roll with the in-crowd, you’ve got to show up!
5. Winter is coming, and with it comes the holiday season. Although many writers go into November and December with good intentions of writing and submitting, it’s extremely easy to drop the ball when the days get shorter. Send out a round (or two) of submissions sooner rather than later, and you’ll see better results.
If you want to simplify the submission process but you’re not ready for our long-term Full Service, check out our A La Carte Service. Starting at just $150, we can help you get a round of submissions in the mail in just a few days!